PROPERTY & FACILITIES MANAGER/DIRECTOR
Reporting to management, the Property & Facilities Manager will contribute to Fort Properties’ goals by effectively managing a portfolio of residential and commercial buildings. Goals include the creation of great places for people to live and work, ensuring excellent tenant relations, overseeing the preservation and enhancement of assets, and maximizing profitability.
This position is a salaried, full-time position.
- TENANT RELATIONS: Be on-call for any tenant requests or questions, any building related issues, any trades questions, and all emergencies. Maintain the Tenant Interaction Log.
- FACILITIES MANAGEMENT: Do site visits and walk-arounds for properties as required, checking for litter, graffiti, vandalism, and to ensure excellence in appearance. Perform annual residential walk-throughs to inspect premises, hear from tenants, and plan maintenance. Develop relationships with suppliers, and maintain a database of current and potential suppliers of building related services (e.g. contractors, plumbers, electricians, roofers, etc). Tender work as required and oversee projects through completion. Coordinate a handyman to address small repairs, snow removal, salting, janitorial duties, Fort Common events, etc. Maintain preventative maintenance service contracts. Plan and carry-out long-term maintenance and repairs, supervise Maintenance Journals and Maintenance and Repairs calendar. Write cleaning specs for, and oversee janitorial, cleaning, window washing, parking lots, the Fort Common and sidewalks. Maintain Materials Inventories for all properties. Assist the Leasing Manager and Management with welcoming and orientating new tenants, and overseeing the departure of a tenant. Maintain log (written and photographic) of property condition.
- MANAGEMENT MEETINGS: Conduct bi-weekly Property Management meetings: create the agenda, report at the meeting, report efficiently on progress, prepare minutes, follow up on decisions and actions.
- BUDGETING: Work with Project Management Assistant to develop and maintain operating budgets for Fort Properties’ assets. Assist with long term repairs planning and budgeting. Assist with the annual Operating Costs reconciliation process. Track and approve costs and invoices.
- PARKING: Manage parking charts and parking contracts for all lots. Manage communications for special projects, and maintain high quality facilities for all lots.
- PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTION: Maintain knowledge of existing and emerging building technologies. Be capable of performing minor repairs. Seek out cost-effective solutions to a given building issue. Ensure WCB and Worksafe regulations are adhered to.
- SUSTAINABILITY: Work with Property Assistant to oversee Fort Properties’ sustainability program.
- INSURANCE: Work with Property Assistant to lead the annual insurance renewal process for building insurance and billings; insurance appraisal schedule; insurance claims, and special project coveragage.
- THE FORT COMMON: Assist with Fort Common management as needed.
- WASTE: Oversee the waste stream contracts and delivery; act as the chief contact person for waste providers, and tenants re waste.
- TENANT COMMUNICATIONS: Clearly articulate (both verbal and written) regarding events, concerns, neighborhood/City news; stay in touch with tenants so lines of communication are open; mediate with tenants as issues arise.
- COMMUNITY RELATIONS: Help establish and maintain useful relationships and resources in the communities where the company has assets.
- RENT PAYMENTS: Collect and manage consequences for arrears, collect post-dated cheques. Work with tenants to encourage prompt payment and business success. Manage civil proceedings if required.
- SECURITY: Fob and key control; coordinate security companies; coordinate annual fire safety inspections; audit properties for CPTED; do safety planning for properties; rationalize alarm systems, address security concerns; develop Emergency Preparedness programs.
- UTILITIES: Track and record water readings; maintain a record of common area and tenant electrical meters.
- GENERAL: Assist management in protecting and enhancing the property portfolio.
- Other duties as required.
- Genuine passion for working with tenants to make their business and residential dreams a reality.
- An aptitude for solving building-related challenges as well as people-related challenges.
- 5-7 years progressive experience in property management with a minimum of 3 years at a management level.
- Rental Property Management Certification complete or in process.
- Proven ability to manage a portfolio of both residential and commercial property.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, best practices, concepts and issues related to real estate, property and facility management.
- Strong management and leadership skills and able to consistently operate with a high level of professionalism.
- Strong people skills, including mediation, a solutions-oriented approach, and conflict resolution.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office and CRM skills.
- Sound understanding of the Residential Tenancy Act of BC.
- General knowledge of provincial occupational health and safety requirements, WCB and Worksafe.
- Experience tendering and awarding contracts, managing subsequent workmanship effectively, within budget.
- Proven ability to negotiate and to build excellent relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Sound knowledge of building technologies/systems and passion for ensuring that buildings operate smoothly and efficiently, including maintenance of typical heating or cooling systems (HVAC), plumbing, electrical, etc.
- General accounting knowledge --- ability to develop and manage budgets, understand accounting processes and analyze relevant key performance indicators.
- Ability to be flexible and self-motivated, to take initiative, and must posses excellent time management, organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently yet collaboratively within in a team environment of mutual support and respect.
- Interest in interior, urban and architectural design.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, capable of reviewing and editing legal documents, and must have familiarity with both residential and commercial leasing practices.
- A “what ever it takes” attitude toward the prudent and profitable operation of the portfolio, while honouring the company core values.
- Must have a vehicle and valid BC Driver’s License (mileage will be provided).
- Flexible hours to respond to emergencies, as required.
About Fort Properties:
Fort Properties Ltd. (formerly Fort Realty Ltd.) is a third generation, family owned and operated company based in Victoria, B.C. We focus exclusively on property ownership, management, and development, and are deeply committed to creating healthy and vibrant places. We believe it is our role to create Space That Contributes – to create and manage dynamic built-environments that allow business people to shine and enhance the community as a whole.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit package and a great working environment. For more information about our company, please visit: www.fortproperties.ca.
Please email your resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com
No phone calls, please. We thank applicants in advance but only qualified applicants will be contacted. No agencies accepted.